Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Shoestrings

This was my fifth try... "I'm looking for those elastic, curly shoestring things... the ones that stretch and then spring back into place?  Do you have any here in your store?" 

A look of recognition brightened his face as he announced, "No, not yet, but I'm getting some in soon. I've had many customers asking about those, and for the longest time I couldn't find them.  But, just this week I found them in a new catalogue, and I couldn't believe it!"  With added exuberance he continued, "I've been searching & searching for them, and there they were advertised in a Christmas catalogue, of all places!  So, I ordered me a bunch of them, and they should be here by the end of this week."

Then he eagerly volunteered this information which really surprised me, "Someone said that Sports Academy has them in stock, and that they are on the front counter by the checkout register.  But, if you can't make it there, or if you don't find them there, I should have them here this Thursday or Friday."  Then he flashed that gregarious smile once again and said, "I just couldn't believe that I found them in a Christmas catalogue!"

So, I left the small store heading to its big competitor because I needed those specific shoestrings, and I needed them that day.  I didn't leave with my mission accomplished.  Nor did I leave with a purchase in a paper sack or a plastic bag.  But, I did leave with something new, and it wasn't even purchased.  It was something given to me, and I'm still enjoying it.  I hadn't even asked for it.

Oh, I definitely will go back to that store, and I will buy some of his stretchy shoestrings even if I don't need anymore of the twisty things.  That may sound silly, but it seems right to me.  I want to pay him back for his kindness, and I want to see him prosper.  A purchase of shoestrings won't make much difference on the books, but it's the principle of the thing.  I want him to know that his generosity of shared information, even if it meant losing a sale, was great customer service.  I want him to know that he made a friend even if he didn't make a sale.  I want him to know that someone noticed his zest for life, and I want him to know he made a big difference in my attitude and in my day.

He's good at what he does.  He is a shoe cobbler.  He is a business man.  He is a salesman, and he is an encourager.  I want to be like him with my exuberance for life, and I want to live unabashedly and be myself whether I'm with new friends or whether I'm with friends that are not so new.   He reminded me to be genuine, sincere, and unselfish with others, and that's a great lesson.  It's one that can't be purchased, bartered or even traded.  It's something that must be given, and it should be gently placed in my bag of memories and taken home with me.  That I shall do.

Let's not tell him that I wrote about him.  Shall we?  Let's just keep that our little secret.  But, if you happen to need some of those cute curly, twisty shoestring things... now you know where to find them, but be sure to wait until this Thursday or Friday.  And oh, yes... tell him "hello" for me!



@Copyright 2010, Cindy Lou Hodges
All rights reserved.

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...