Friday, September 24, 2010

"Izzy" Was Her Name

 "Met the cutest new friend at dinner last night!  She stopped at our table & just had to tell us a joke, but when the punchline came... it didn't!   She couldn't remember it!  lol  She is 88 years old and just darling..."         --posted on Facebook, 9-23-2010

Her red top splashed with pink & purple jewelry first caught my eye, but her radiant glow is what captured... and held my attention!  "I just have to tell you a joke, " she announced to my friends at the end of the table.  As I leaned forward to listen, assuming she knew someone seated there with me, she proceeded telling her joke about race horses.  I couldn't hear her words, but I could hear & see her enthusiasm.  It was contagious.

My girlfriends were laughing & responding with great delight, as was I, and then we waited for the punchline.  Well, good golly Miss Molly, it didn't happen!  Our delightful visitor could not remember it, and that was funnier than any well thought out punchline could have possibly been!  I think we laughed for five minutes.  It was hysterically funny!

I wish you could have seen her, our lady in red, and I wish you could have been there with us.  It was one of those rare magical moments that makes everything "all right", and everyone, everywhere needs those "all right" moments.  How sweet it was to laugh with friends.  How sweet it was to be together.  And how sweet it was to see that life can sparkle at the rich young age of 88.  That's her age, Izzybelle from Roswell, my new friend... our new friend.  Life's her stage, and she plays it very, very well.

I'm grateful to have been her audience.  I'm grateful she stopped and shared:  grateful for her life and for those priceless, precious moments she gave us.   What a joy and what a treasure she is just by being herself. I witnessed beauty, style & grace in action, and that, my friends is exactly what I want to be when I grow up.  Bravo, Izzy!  Bravo, my darling... Bravo!  Please, do it again.  Encore, encore... please!

Applause, love & admiration to you, Izzybelle from Roswell!

Sincerely,
Cindy Lou 



@Copyright 2010, Cindy Lou Hodges
All Rights Reserved

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...