Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sit by Me...

"Cindy, I haven't seen you in such a long time," she said.  I replied, "I feel the same about you!  Where have you been?"  So there we stood talking, trying to catch up on each other's news, that is until the lights dimmed.  It was time for the concert to begin, and time to be seated.  If it had not been for my friend's encounter,  I probably would have left before the program began.  I would have left without hearing the music, and I would have left with a heart heavier than it was when I arrived.

For many reasons, it was hard to be there and even harder to stay; but since protocol requested my presence, there I stood.  Then, as the room grew silent, my friend and I looked at each other.  To my surprise out from my mouth came these words, "Where are you going to sit?"  She motioned "over there", and we both started walking in that direction.  Then some of the sweetest words I have ever heard were spoken just at the right time, from her to me, just for me, in a room that was so hushed I could hear every word... "Sit by me, won't you?"  So, I did, for the entire concert.  I enjoyed the evening... immensely, and I'm so glad I stayed.

Thinking back on the evening, I'm reminded of the scripture that tells us that God goes before us and prepares a place for us.  I believe that.  I believe because I saw that.  I saw it happen to me, just tonight, through a dear friend, in a mighty big way, in a mighty little sentence.

And, I also believe, that when I close the world around me, and all becomes hushed... I will hear it once again, this time spoken by another friend, my friend Jesus... "Cindy, I have much to tell you.  Come, sit by me, won't you?"  I hope I do.  I hope I will sit still, very, very still... and I hope I will listen.

Thank you, Lord, for your mercies, for your love, and for the friends you send my way.

Love,
Cindy

p.s.  Thank you for saving me a seat!



@Copyright, 2010 Cindy Lou Hodges, All rights reserved.

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...