Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Yellow Hibiscus

It was absolutely beautiful, and to think I almost missed it!  That yellow hibiscus was not visible from the regular sidewalk, the one I almost chose to take.  It was visible only to those who ventured onto the longer pathway, the one I did choose.  The flower was a glorious blossom nestled into a mossy bed of violet, fuchsia and cherry colored verbena, and it was the only yellow glow in the entire flower bed.

I stopped to take a closer look.  It was so low to the ground that I didn't dare try to bend over to "smell the roses", so to speak, but I did bend over enough that I could take a picture of it.  I wanted its essence frozen in time, and hindsight tells me that was a good idea. The petals were soft & delicate with uneven edges.  Yet the center was bold and solid looking with its crimson colored core.  What a statement it made!  Had it been neighbored by other hibiscus blooms, I doubt I would have stopped to appreciate its beauty, but something about its solitude attracted me and made it even more beautiful.  I don't know  how long I stood there looking at the flowers, but it was a great way to end a long, exhausting day.

Now when I look at that picture, I remember that blossom, and I recognize the value of that one little detour.  I'm reminded that going the "extra mile" for some cause or for someone, and that taking those extra footsteps even when we think we can't go on, is worth the effort.  I'm reminded that being "alone" can be beautiful.  And, I'm reminded that today, like everyday, is a good day to take a walk.  Don't know which pathway I'll choose to take, guess I won't know until I get there.  But, one thing I do know... it will be worth the effort, and I think I'll take my camera. 

As they say...
"Keep on bloomin'.... regardless!!!

Love,
Cindy Lou


@Copyright 2010 Cindy Lou Hodges... All rights reserved.

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...