Thursday, October 21, 2010

Baby Girl Pink

"Yesterday I dug in the freezer. Today I think I'll dig in the dirt. Seems to me that planting spring bulbs would be a most fitting way to celebrate the new life that's coming to our family in December..."
                                    ---posted on Face Book, October 21, 2010


In my mind I envisioned pink!  Pure, pretty, "pop your eyes out" pink flowers strewn all across my back yard's flower bed.  I wasn't thinking a muddy pink, or a lavender pink, or a peachy pink.  I wanted "sweet baby girl pink", and I wanted lots & lots of them... a wheelbarrow full of blossoms.

The first garden center I visited had two displays of bulbs which included tulips, hyacinths, daffodils and the girliest, frilliest irises I've ever seen.  By golly, that was the flower I wanted, and there was no reason to drive elsewhere to shop;  except that, there was only one package.  And it contained only two bulbs:  so much for my idea of a wheelbarrow full.  I drove to the other garden store, hoping I could find other choices, but, that was a waste of time since they had no flower bulbs at all.  Theirs are shipped in the spring.

Not to be defeated about my idea of planting today, I drove back to that solitary package of two bulbs, and I purchased it.  Took a picture of the cover on the package, so I can remember what it's supposed to look like, then grabbed the garden spade and started digging.  In no time at all, those two scrawny iris bulbs were planted deeply in the warm earth, safe and secure in my back yard. 

Have to say that I feel good about the day.  I got my mission accomplished.  Got lots of mosquito bites, too, but it's all worth the effort because I believe those puny, palm-size bulbs will produce exactly what the picture claims.  When they do and the pink frilly blossoms are a'bloom, my grand baby will be three or four months old.  I will lovingly carry her out to the back flower bed and show her what her Grammy planted in honor of her arrival.  I believe that year after year, these irises will continue to grow in numbers and beauty and continue the cycle of life.  As my grand daughter grows, I shall remind her how much she is loved and how much she was wanted, even before she was born.  Then as she matures, and becomes a young flower herself,  I can use the story of the iris to teach her about love, and the sanctity of marriage, and how with every cycle of life there is a rhyme and a reason for its time and its season.

That's a lot to expect from my plantings today:  those two pitiful looking bulbs.  But, when one has faith, nothing is impossible.... not even a wheelbarrow full of pretty, frilly, "pop your eyes out" pink blossoms!

Here's hoping.  Here's believing.  And here's thanks to all the women who have walked before me... bouquets to you, my lovelies!  And for those of you who are still walking, we might as well walk together, joined arm in arm... in faith.  It's more fun that way, and besides, I'd love some company!

Sincerely looking forward to the future,
Cindy Lou

p.s.  I'm thinking pink!

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.  Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another... and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
          --Hebrews 10:23-25 Holy Bible, New International Version



@Copyright 2010, Cindy Lou Hodges
All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message here...

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...