Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fluff, Fluff!

"Two feather pillows sittin' on the bed.
One turned to the other, and it said:
'Do you ever tire, when the folks retire
and flatten your fluff with their big, fat heads?'"
                                     --Cindy Lou

Ah, the weariness of diligence is my challenge today.  Didn't I do all this yesterday?  The showering, the grooming, the hair, the makeup, the cleaning up after myself?  (Well, okay... I didn't do the cleaning yesterday, but I intended to!)  And, today... it starts all over again.  And, that's just all about ME!  Now it's time to get to the important tasks of devotional time, people time, and responsibility time.  Many issues need to be dealt with today, and many miles need to be traveled.  Loved ones need my assistance. Job duties demand attention, and all the while, distractions lurk in every corner and every shopping center. 

So, I'm wondering, "what makes today different from yesterday?"  Is it:  the people I will encounter? the traffic I must contend with?  the clothes that I wear?  the tasks demanded of me?  the opportunities that await me?  or the surprises that will grip me?  Hmmm... I believe it is all of the above and something more.  It is my attitude, more than anything else:  plain & simple.  It's up to me.

In last night's rehearsal our orchestra director spoke of "excellence", and how we musicians should strive for it in every song we play.  We should not settle for mediocrity, nor should we be satisfied with status quo.  He's right, about many things, and lately I have found myself being grateful for "status quo" & "normalcy".  In this crazy world, familiarity is welcomed.  But, something about his insight slides beyond the boundaries of music and intertwines with everyday living and everyday attitudes. 

Excellence is what we all need today.  It's especially what I need, and what I desire.  I'm tired of compromising quality for quantity and weary of settling for less than my best.  The level of standards that I'm seeking surpasses status quo and causes this worker to aim higher, work harder, and to stay very, very focused.

Now that's a challenge, but, a good choice, don't you think?  If I apply myself, maybe today won't be so ho-hum after all, and maybe my daily tasks will take on new life.  Maybe the people I encounter today will be smarter & brighter than they would have been with my old attitude.  Maybe I can learn something from them, also.  And maybe, when I look into the "new attitude" mirror to freshen my face or comb my hair, I will see beyond the reflection and see something that wasn't there yesterday.  Perhaps I shall see a heart for excellence and the determination to make it happen.  Perhaps I will see even more.  Perhaps I will see another reflection, one of excellence... one that looks just like you!

Guess it's time to get at it again, or as they say, "fluff the pillows", but this time I think I"ll do it right.  I will do it with vim & vigor, zest & gusto... lots & lots of it!  Here goes.... fluff, fluff... fluff, fluff.......FLUFF!!!

Claiming victory with my every "fluff",
Cindy Lou



"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving."  --Colossians 3:23-24  Holy Bible, New International Version


@Copyright 2010, Cindy Lou Hodges
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message here...

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...