Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Too Tired to Eat Ice Cream

"Too tired to eat my ice cream"... now, THAT'S tired!

Full days filled with fun and friends have my head spinning and my feet running.  The last three days have been a marathon of musical activities, rehearsals, and programs, and it isn't even Christmas time which is my busiest time of the year.  It's October which means the oppressive summer heat has lifted its veil and revitalized us living creatures.  We are invigorated with a nonstop zest for living, and we are doing it before the cold winter comes.  What a glorious time to make music!  And what a wonderful way to enjoy the fall days.

But, I think I overdid it this time.  After last night's last rehearsal, I drove to my favorite ice cream parlor and ordered my latest favorite:  a strawberry shortcake Mix.  I couldn't go home without something for my husband, so I told the clerk to add a hot fudge sundae.  "Make that a double, two scoops!"   It sounded so soothing and "just right" and justly earned after an exhausting three days.

Driving home the vision of my ice cream made me smile, and drool a little, too.   The Mix was in a clear plastic cup.  It looked like a pink cloud with lumpy bumps of strawberries & pound cake.  Ooooh, it looked good!  I felt like a great hunter going home with her trophy.  Make that "trophies" because the gooey hot fudge sundae sat right beside my pink drink that had to be eaten with a spoon, and the two together sparkled under the street lights.

Smiles & hugs awaited me at home, as well as pajamas, and I could feel my body exhaling as I washed my face and got out of my binding clothes.   It took longer than usual to do the ordinary night time routine, I guess because I was so weary.  And by the time I made it to the kitchen to reward myself with the pink concoction, it just didn't look as enticing as it had previously.  I looked at that beautiful trophy, and thought, "I don't think I can shovel it in... my arms just can't do another thing."  Sigh.  "I guess it will have to wait, and so can I."

But then, I saw that hot fudge sundae... my husband's treat.  Uh-oh.  It had melted quite a bit, and it was all soft & squishy, and lavishly swirled with a thick chocolate ribbon .  Before I knew it, these arms of mine... the weary ones, had grabbed a straw and stuck it in that melted milky confection; and this old, bone-tired body leaned over and inhaled almost half of that which wasn't hers to eat.  Alas, I did it again.  I was Miss Piggy!  Argh... Oink, Oink!

Can't say I'm proud of what I did:  eating my husband's ice cream.  Can't say I won't do it again.  Bless his heart.  But, I can say that even though I am exhausted from my last three days, I am so glad that my life is filled with friends, family, and music.  I was busy, perhaps too busy.  But, what a joy to join earth's chorus of praise, laughter, and life!  And then, to top it off with ice cream... Wow... how truly blessed I am!

Thank you for being my friends.  Thank you for making music with me, and thank you for surrounding me with your smiles, encouragement and love.  You bring out the best in me, and you accept me at my worst.  What more could a girl ask for?  You're wonderful friends, and I thank God for you.

Well, it's time to get ready for a new day.  Time to put back on the day's "face" and the binding clothes.  Time to prepare for the next rehearsal.  So, in closing I will say... "I love you, dear friends.  You are the best, and if we ever go out for ice cream together, hmmm... can I have a taste of yours?"

Sincerely smiling,
Cindy Lou


@Copyright 2010, Cindy Lou Hodges
All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. As I was going to say earlier, there was ice cream left for my husband, and he was very happy with his hot fudge sundae. Since it had melted, he didn't have a clue that part of it was missing! Am I lucky, or what? :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your message here...

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...