Monday, January 6, 2020

Scrap Quilted Denim Bag

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19803117/?claim=bfzr7ve23bp">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

During the holidays I watched DIY videos, and I discovered this fun craft! Basically, I built a rectangular fabric sandwich with two pieces of denim (recycled, of course). Inside I played with small pieces of fabric, layering them in a jumbled pattern. After pinning around the edges of my rectangle, and a couple of pins towards the middle, I machine stitched around the outside of the traced on heart.  Allowing 1/2 inch width, I machine stitched the inside of the heart one time.

Because the interior stitching was curved, I had to pay attention to my needle placement and carefully tug the fabric & slightly spin the fabric with each stitch. So, I decided to make the center of the heart with vertical lines. Good decision. Time to cut between the machine stitched rows, cutting through the denim & scrap pieces. (Do not cut the back lining.) Scratch the fibers to fluff the fringe, or machine wash for more fraying.

Then, I cut out the 6" heart, but added almost 1 inch extra around the outside. That's so I could zig-zag stitch twice around the perimeter (so the edges don't fray too much). It was time to stitch the heart to the bag, but in this case I stitched the heart to the pocket. 💓 Then stitched the pocket to the front of the denim panel. (The left & right side of the heart needed to be stitched to the denim panel. No problem!)


Four inch fringe is easy to add. Just cut it to size. Pin, then hand baste to the front of the denim panel. (Stitch 1/2" along the edge. Note the fringe is pointing towards the middle... very important!)

 


Machine stitch your bag together 5/8 - 3/4" from the edge, right sides together. Leave the hand basted stitches there. No need to remove them.


The outside front after stitching. Note top raw edge.

Time to select interior fabrics. Cotton batik for lining & reclaimed fabric for interior pocket. I love these colors! Cut lining fabric 1" larger than the outside bag, allowing for 1/2" seam allowances.

Pocket is pinned to the right side of the lining, then stitched in place on 2 sides & the bottom.
Turn down top edge & machine stitch.  Turn down top edge of denim bag, 1.5". Press.
Insert lining into the bag. Looking so cute! 
Strap involved piecing together coordinating fabrics to make 57" x 4" strip. Press in half long-ways.
Then fold in 1/2" from edge towards the middle & press. Fold & press both sides.

Fold together, and press. Machine stitch both sides to complete strap.












 Insert strap ends between the lining & outside of the bag. Tuck down about 1.5" (ends will not show). Pin in place. These will be secured when you stitch the lining to the denim bag. Time to stitch around the top of the bag. Leave a 1/2" border of the denim showing on the inside. Stitch around top twice sewing the shoulder strap ends in place. Now for the embellishment. Do I want to add a button?  Which color?  





 


The silver tone button adds a new texture & I like that. Look what the chain of tassels does:  it accents all the fringe in the heart & the outside fringe, plus it picks up the oranges & pinks. Perfect & it brings the eyes to the middle!   Forget the rhinestone bling. I want the heart to be the focal point! 
So pretty!


Hand stitched magnetic snap closure. I watched TV while I sewed them on. Pretty surprise with that textured fabric inside!

So, it's all finished, and I am very pleased! The backside showcases the leather tag from the upcycled jeans, and 3 vintage buttons... metal, of course, to coordinate with the front button.




This one will be offered for sale on my next LIVE show on Bling on the Crafts, Facebook! Tuesday nights, 7:00 pm Central.
This project turned out to be such fun, and I'm looking forward to more art creations with pieces of scraps. Guess I'll never throw out any more, never, ever! 😄

Finished bag is for sale... listed in my Etsy shop, Lady Rose Lane...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/768869561/upcycled-denim-crossover-bag-fringed?ref=shop_home_active_10&frs=1


Cindy Lou


@Copyright 2020 Cindy Lou Hodges All Rights Reserved.

 <a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19803117/?claim=bfzr7ve23bp">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message here...

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...