Monday, January 20, 2020

Weaving Fabric Strips into a Bag, Part #2

 Weaving Fabric Strips into a Bag, Part #2

Last week's post took us through the process of weaving fabric strips onto a cardboard loom. Hemp string was the base (warp), and assorted 3" wide fabric strips were woven over & under the hemp. The combination of colors & textures turned out to be beautiful!

The next step was to remove the cardboard. Since this was my first time to weave both the front AND the back, I wasn't sure that it would all stay together without the cardboard.

However, I am very happy to report that it worked! The cardboard resisted due to the tight weaving, but after a few minutes of effort, the cardboard easily slid out, and I had an intact, solid, beautiful bag!



 

Here it is... no more cardboard!

Side #1 Fabric Strip Bag without the cardboard loom.

Side #2 Fabric Strip Bag without the cardboard loom.

Top view of Fabric Strip Bag, looking inside the bag.

Success! Hooray!!! 

I'm smiling from ear to ear that it was so simple to make this OOAK bag! It's ready for the finishing touches. First thing will be the lining, and the rich velvet & rich colors deserve something really pretty. A satin fabric with a sheen would be lovely. I'll add a strap or handle, probably a strap, and trim up the outside ends. It's going to be fabulous, I tell ya'... and I am one happy crafter!

Stay tuned for the final steps to this project... Part #3, Weaving Fabric Strips into a Bag.
You're gonna' love it!

Cindy Lou

@Copyright 2020 Cindy Lou Hodges All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. I already love it! I imagine your finishing touches will send it over the top! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your message here...

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...