Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Thrifted Bag Redo


Revamped bag with OOAK background for Victorian brooch. Beautiful!

Cute fabric bag that needed a makeover. I forgot to take a picture of what it looked like when I found it, but it was rather sad. The top of the bag had elastic, so the bag gathered at the top scrunching up the opening. I removed the elastic and pressed the bag top. The original strap was turquoise braid, and it was only 30" long.

I removed both the turquoise braid & elastic by ripping open the seams on the sides, then sewed on a 52" gold cord. Now the bag is a crossover bag, and it doesn't that "scrunchy pouch" look.

The fold over flap is a nice feature, but it was plain. I chose to add a Victorian flare with the rhinestone brooch. It looked great, but wasn't quite the look I wanted. So I made the black velvet circle with decorative stitches using variegated turquoise thread. Nice! I went with the sheer ruffle accent on the black medallion, giving it one more feminine touch.

There were no pockets on this bag. A girl must have pockets, so I cut up a quilted pillow sham (Thrifted, of course!), and chose a gold cotton fabric that I purchased in Las Vegas, New Mexico at my favorite shop on the square... Thread Bear. (Beautiful quilting fabrics & a fun place to visit!) https://www.threadbear-nm.com/   The gold fabric has a gold metallic design in it, and that compliments the gold thread in the outside fabric.
Back Side with new pocket: recycled fabric, new lace, vintage button.

Newly added pocket out of recycled pillow sham.
I'm pleased with the pockets... one inside for incidentals & one outside for the cell phone. They really complete the purse and make it much more functional!

Sometimes I feel like doing the unexpected, and the additional flower brooch is just that. The whimsical green, white & black brooch is layers of animal printed fabric. And the center button & bow have nothing in common with the bag fabric, nothing other than, I like them, and I like them together.

So, this particular bag has several personalities  the Casual look...
Revamped thrifted bag without embellishments.

 Victorian Look #1...
One rhinestone brooch added...

Beautiful brooch, but gets lost on top of the busy printed fabric.

 Victorian Look #2...
Revamped bag with OOAK background for Victorian brooch. Beautiful!

the Whimsical look...
Revamped bag with crazy animal print brooch... one of Cindy Lou's Wacky Woses!

Backside of Wacky Wose brooch.

So many choices...




 What a fun, easy project. I played with it for a couple of sessions. Still don't know which look is my favorite. I love them all! Which one is your favorite?
Revamped bag with OOAK background for Victorian brooch. Beautiful!



@Copyright 2020 Cindy Lou Hodges All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra, for the encouragement! I am working on other designs and will post them soon!

      Delete

Leave your message here...

Blue Shadows (On the Trail), 1986

Buckle up, partners, for this sparkling rhinestone and soothing lullaby brought to you by The Three Amigos! Actors Steve Martin, Chevy Chase...